Saturday 19 February 2011

Out of Sight

Last night I watched Out of Sight. I'd seen it before, but never really paid an awful lot of attention to it, but this time I made an effort to follow the plot. I think the film is a little over-rated, with editing style taking precedence over actual substance. In places, it seems to want to be a modernised version of classic cinema, with freezeframes, snappy dialogue and a plot that sees George Clooney's prison escapee and Jennifer Lopez's federal marshal thrown together and falling for one another, but it is this plot device that in my opinion lets the film down. I've always hated the tacking on of an arbitrary romance subplot almost ruining what would otherwise be an incredible picture (see also the Nightmare Before Christmas, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars), and this is definitely the case with Out of Sight. If the film had focussed on Clooney's Jack Foley, his escape from prison and the heists before and after, I feel it would have been a far superior picture. By all means keep J-Lo's character, (but for the love of cinema, recast) but drop the frankly ridiculous romance between the two. The best part of the film was the cast, with Don Cheadle eating up the screen as hoodlum Snoop, whilst Ving Rhames supports well as Buddy, Foley's redemption-craving partner in crime. And the last minute cameo is one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Choose film 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment